Friday, February 15, 2008

History. Bizarre Religions. American Experience.

The Mormons

I spent way too much time today watching this great PBS documentary on the history of Mormons. Since I was a kid I've always been fascinated with myths and stories from around the world. This one's a whopper, and it's from our own back yard.

Before I moved to California the only Mormons I'd ever heard of were Donnie and Marie. American Experience and Frontline collaborated on this really long documentary that covers the beginnings with Joseph Smith all the way up to current controversies over the Mormons' practice of baptizing Holocaust victims.

Seeing all those smiling, squeaky clean Mormon families all "sealed" together made me feel sorry for the poor gay children and closeted parents who can't escape the suffocating confines of their world. it's not the kind of religion that inspires people to question authority.

Anyway, if you like American history and kooky religions, this would be good time spent.

1 comment:

michael sean morris said...

I've always had a difficult time with the contrast between the super nice Mormons I've met and what I've been able to learn about their freaky weird religion.

It's beyond me how anyone can believe that an angel named Moroni left some scripture on golden tablets at some farm in upstate New York, let alone that Jesus traveled to North America as a teenager. But then, I'm clearly not a Mormon.